Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy Headed to the Big Screen

Do those words fill you will hope or horrors? We should think back to the awe inspiring novels that should have been good movies..... Dune, BladeRunner, I Robot, Bicentennial Man and so forth and then think about the frightening scope of Asimov's Foundations. I don't see how the story can be made understandable and the movie entertaining in 90 to 120 minutes. What part of the Mona Lisa do you chop off or paint over to make it more digestable? But Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne seem to think they have what it takes. Shaye at leaset seems to understand the complexity of what he has undertaken "this is not a script you can knock out in six months." he was quoted as saying. ya think?

Read more by clicking the link

<- Firstshowing.net via SFSignal ->

3 comments:

Dave Tackett said...

As always, both. I don't think the length will be too much of a problem. The book is very small by today's standards. The fear for me a film staring Will Smith that completely reverses the meaning of the novel or an all CGI effects movie with a modern soundtrack.

Nelson said...

Wolfkahn beat me to the punch. I was going to say that I hoped Will Smith wasn't attached to the project, much as I liked "Men In Black." His "I, Robot" and "I am Legend" were not the original stories at all and I wish they hadn't been filmed, sad to say. Why bother going through the trouble of making a film if you're going to radically change the story? Make up your own bloody story if you're going to butcher someone else's work.

Anonymous said...

Nelson and Wolf, I swear, if Will Smith is even mentioned by either of them I will buy a hi-powered rifle...
and seriously guys, dont give Williams a pass either. BCM was a complete bomb. I am not sure what went wrong there, because it was very close to the story.... but did either of you see I Sing the Body Electric? Done by "Edith"? DEAD ON! or A Boy and his Dog well before NCIS fame? It can be done. Has been done.