Thursday, April 10, 2008

What would you do if your only chance at survival was a pissed off robot on crack?

wow, that's what my first impression was when I saw this sample from the short film TOMO. If I saw something acting like this...machine or otherwise, I would turn and run as fast as I could. TOMO is Paul Catling’s feature length version of his award winning short Sci-fi film of the same name. The original won both the Short Film Award at Sundance Film Festival and the Grand Jury Prize at the Boston Independent Film Fest in 2004. The basic premise is at first glance not much of a stretch. We have seen versions as early as Serling's TLZ to feature lenght films like Robinson Crusoe on Mars - here is the film's synopsis: Set in the near future, a man is stranded on a barren ice-planet when his cargo ship crash-lands. His only hope of rescue is through the help of an emergency survival robot or Tomo ("companion" in Japanese). At first he is cautious, but as they battle to survive, he drops his guard, finding friendship and humanity where he least expects it. But watching a short of the robot and the "body language" used and I have to say it scared the bejezuz out of me.


No comments: