Friday, July 20, 2012

43 Years Ago Today (July 20th) A History Making Day

At 10:56 p.m. ET, on July 20, 1969 these history making words were spoken. "That’s one small step for a man — one giant leap for mankind." This put astronaut Neal Armstrong in the fore front of one of the most historic achievements of the 20th century and there would be little argument towards saying one of the most historic ever!

Xnewsman of course has to keep me on track, so he sent in this article from msn.com  that really brings back the excitement and awe of the moment. For my part this I was reading this Dvice article here which showed the stunning photograph which was the first that Neal took after jumping 3 feet to the surface. And this next one I had never seen before! I love Apollo 8's shot of the Earth from lunar orbit, but from the surface looking straight up the side of the LEM towards Earth! What a stunning photo! You have to check out the Dvice gallery I was looking at because they take a shot of the Luna accent module Eagle preparing to dock with the command module with the Earth in the background! Heart stopping it is so beautiful! Thanks for the update Xnewsman!

6 comments:

kallamis said...

And today should be a national holiday. Nuff said.

Beam Me Up said...

You know, I could really take that and run, but sometimes it is what is not said that says the most. I stand with you Kall

kallamis said...

Me too man, that's why I kept it simple.

Beam Me Up said...

did you catch the program though? It seemed like everything out of my mouth came out as a challenge. What got me going is Saturday morning,and well before the program, I went and asked people why they think July 20th isn't a national holiday. Invariably the answer was, what happened on the 20th? Well come 4pm I was well on my way to a rant...

kallamis said...

No we didn't. Stupid life got in the way this week. Planning to catch it tonight, provided no more disasters this weekend.
And yeah, I think after enough of that, I'd have ranted.

Beam Me Up said...

well up until friday I felt like I was tilting against windmills but Xnewsman and you managed to even see it in a new light. You know ... national holiday! That in itself was like relighting the fire. So that became my rant...