Thursday, May 14, 2009

Montauk Monster? WTF!!?


Anyone ever hear of this? Urban myth or not, its strange stuff. Tim who is a contributor / writer on the Abandoned Towers web site sent me this link. Not knowing if it was something we would run with or not. As a rule, I am not much into urban myths, but when bodies start washing up on shore, well that's when it gets strange.

According to the article this is not the first time one of these things has washed up:
  • Last year, the original Monster caused a huge stir across the Web. Nobody knew what it was, but reports indicated it was big, bloated, beaked, and rather gross-looking.
The Wikipedia says:
  • The "Montauk Monster" was an unidentified creature that allegedly washed ashore dead on a beach near the Montauk, New York business district in July 2008. The identity of the creature, and the veracity of stories surrounding it, has been the subject of unresolved controversy and speculation.
Some speculation as to what type of an animal it is range from:
  • Turtle without its shell
  • Racoon
  • Dog
  • Sheep
  • or a water rat from Australia
Read the article, check the wiki its strange...thats for sure
Thanks Tim!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is a real pic. Poor creature. I think it is very interesting looking, not ugly. I wonder what it is and why they are dying. It looks like a Griffin with no wings.

Beam Me Up said...

It is something of a mystery for sure. However Jeanna, I am leaning toward the "water rat" from Australia. What looks like a beak is in fact, if I don't miss my guess are upper and lower specialized teeth much like a rat's or beaver. I suspect we are looking at a partially skinned carcass that was most likely part of a taxidermist's project....though how it found it's way into the wild is beyond me. That's what I think...I have been known to be wrong on occasion however.

Anonymous said...

I have looked at both the current monster pics and the previous monster pics and it looks like a dog to me. What appears to be a beak is just the snout end of the skull protruding from the face. As for the reasons dogs are washing up on shore, I have no idea. One could pose thoughts but they would only be theories.

Anonymous said...

I wish Taxidermy was a horrible thing of the past. I will look up the Australian water rat! I don't think I've ever seen one. I guess the only way anyone would truly know what it is, is to run a DNA test on it.

border_scot said...

The picture and "myth" were featured recently on an episode of History Channel's "Monster Quest". Their "experts" decided that it was most likely a canine of some sort, working only from the picture.