Friday, July 15, 2011

Cornell Scientists Build a Time Cloak?!


That's exactly what I just read in this Gizmodo article!

Yep, it seems that Cornell researchers:
  • have designed, built and demonstrated the first "cloak" that hides events in time.
The researchers say that their method works the same way other "cloaks" work in various other electromagnetic spectrum. A "lens" decompresses light, for all intents splitting it. At the other end of the experimental area is a compression lens that returns the field to normal. The net effect is a void between the two lenses where for all intents time has no effect.

Again from the article:
  • Right now, the cloak can only last for 120 nanoseconds, and the theoretical max for the current design measures just microseconds.
anyone want to call it before I do?

4 comments:

JoshM said...

Wow. I seem to be having some trouble wrapping my brain around this concept and what exactly, in actual practical terms, the end result of it is.

Okay, so let's get this down to basics. A few years have gone by and they've developed this technique to the point where they can create a human-sized "time-cloak" for about five minutes. I spend five minutes inside the cloak, and... what? Am I aware of the time I've spend there? Can I scratch myself, fart, and pick my nose and then claim that it all never happened, because I was outside of time? Or would it be more like a stasis field, where I would essentially feel as though I'd skipped over those five minutes as if they never existed?

Yeah, I think my brain is gonna have to chew on this one a while.

Beam Me Up said...

Josh
wouldn't it all be a matter of perspective. Your pocket would be a piece of time out of time. From your perspective all is normal. However I would suspect that anything not within the influence of the session would speed up until it was a blur. If they could see you (which kind of defeats your whole purpose) you would instantly be frozen immobile. hummm that sounds like an event horizon to me.....

JoshM said...

So hypothetically it would be like traveling at near-light-speed, but without going anywhere?

I'd sort of hoped that it would allow one to travel freely outside the normal flow of time, and re-enter at whatever point one chooses -- past, present, future, whatever. Like an early prototype TARDIS.

Beam Me Up said...

And that might be the telling point right there. Space and time are inextricably joined. Inside the field not being influence by time would it seems have infinite space. But how can that be, inside a small field.... Almost makes an argument for ftl don't it?