Friday, October 08, 2010

Sintel - animation short

Here is Sintel. Before you watch, I have to explain. This short was created as a "proof of concept" project was, as explained in the IO9 article I first saw this short on, initiated by the Blender Foundation as a means to further improve and validate the free/open source 3D creation suite Blender.

For something that for all intents is a "Demo" it is surely to be received as a stunning success. The fantasy tale tell of a lone woman in search of her lost dragon. It is both cute and tragic in the few short minutes it plays, I am certain that the effort will capture your imagination if not your heart.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want this. I want this to become a movie so that I can follow the story.

This is lovely and painful. I want more.

Beam Me Up said...

ANON
my sentiment exactly. You don't realize how much she has aged until she leaves the cave, or how much she ages just taking off the armor. She never looks back - and there is the hatchling scrabbling around behind her. That moment really hurt. Your not quite sure if it is following or just leaving its mother corpse. Does it need to be a full length movie? Yes. Will it get made? I would be surprised. This is not a Disney everything is all ok in the end movie. This would be a beautiful film but it would also make a lot of people very sad and lost. You know as well as I do that the commercial movie industry would never agree to leave a movie like this one alone. And that would be a shame.

Thanks for the comment. We can keep our fingers crossed.

Paul

Rosehippi said...

This was so poignant to the Human condition on earth ... we are born and live alone and are contented with that till we discover there is something beautiful, something MORE and then just at the pinnacle of happyness or joy it is suddenly taken away... then life is about the pursuit, not the capture of what was taken or lost, again and because we look so very hard for only one facet upon which WE have fixated we close our vision to what it might have become and so pass it by or destroy it when we find it because it has changed as all things must and we do not recognise it because it doesn't fit the pre-conceived mold...
speaks volumes to me.... Beautiful film... I want more...

Beam Me Up said...

Rosehippi
Wow, and I thought I had a handle on what the message was. Every point you made called up a sequence in the film. Your analysis is spot on. Your statement was every bit as moving as the film.

I agree, more is needed. These are characters I wish to live with for more than a few minutes.

Thanks
Paul