Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The How in science now means How in Hell is this Science?


I really couldn't resist this...I was laughing so hard, even though I totally agree with their statements, thinking, let those among us that have not watched really big big things...toss the first stone!

The Onion (Update: reader Dorn made a point that to be honest I should remind everyone that the ONION is a comedy site which I think is extremely funny and dead-on. So, for those of you that are taking issue with the article, IT'S MEANT TO BE FUNNY people...come ON! Thanks Dorn) via Boing Boing is reporting that the highly popular cable network The Science Channel is coming under a bit of fire for airing content that is considered by some to be a bit high brow. To which the Science Channel is resisting.
  • Science Channel president Clark Bunting told reporters Tuesday that his cable network was "completely incapable" of watering down science any further than it already had.
  • "Look, we've tried, we really have, but it's simply not possible to set the bar any lower"
  • Bunting said that they couldn't in good conscience "make science any more mindless or insultingly juvenile. "We already have a show called Really Big Things, which is just ridiculous if you think about it....
  • Plus, there's Punkin Chunkin." "Punkin Chunkin, for Christ's sake," added Bunting, referring to the popular program in which contestants launch oversized pumpkins into the air using catapults.
  • Debbie Myers, general manager of the Science Channel, said the cable station has maintained a balance of 5 percent science content and 95 percent mind-numbing drivel..
  • "At this point, having the word 'how' in a show's title is about as close to scientific investigation as we get," Myers said.
  • As evidence of their refusal to further water down programming, network sources pointed to a number of proposed shows they've abandoned in recent weeks, including an animal-based bungee-jumping program called Extreme Gravity, and Atom Smashers, a series that was was roundly rejected by focus groups as being "too technical" and "not awesome enough."
(ok, I give up...I can't see to type anymore...read the rest here Extreme Gravity!?? I think my brains just leaked out my left ear...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if they aired more actual science, I might watch it occasionally. As it is TV is mostly mindless and even with all those channels none seem to target audiences with even a small amount of education. I could turn this into a rant, but I won’t. It’s just sad.

Dorn said...

Funny, thanks for posting it. I assume you know that The Onion is a fake news publication and this was meant purely has satirical rib poking at the folks who produced such wonders as Punkin Chunkin'. I will also admit to watching the catapulted gourds in utter childish fascination this past fall.

Beam Me Up said...

Anon
I think this was the point of the article. The execs for the science channel are practically in hysterics because of the approved programming. When you have to take out a program about the LHC because it isn't awesome enough for the public is something that clearly drove them to distraction.

Beam Me Up said...

Dorn
Oh yeah...and thats the fun...sometimes I will run with the joke or other times, it echos my sentiments that I just do it straight and see who doesnt get the joke...The last time was hilarious. It was something about a camera that seemed to take pics x number of years in the past...and I said....Have you heard about this?!!! and damn if I didnt get a note from a guy who bought it hook line and sinker.... How do you tell people that it is straight out funny! Its a JOKE people...come on! Extreme gravity?!!! Bears bungie jumping?!!! I am putting this on this weeks program...I supose I should preface it with...Its comedy and I like comedy....sigh...kinds of loses its punch though