Monday, January 17, 2011

NASA The Frontier is Everywhere

Hey people, check out this youtube video I first spotted on boing boing. It's a compilation of clips showing Humans at their best and worst and through it all binding it all together a brilliant sound track by Michael Marantz and a voice over of Carl Sagan bringing a little hope that it will all work out.

I can guarantee that you will be moved by this short 3 minute video.

On SpaceRef.com Damewse (the YouTube persona of Mr. Marantz) writes
  • "I got frustrated with NASA and made this video. NASA is the most fascinating, adventurous, epic institution ever devised by human beings, and their media sucks.....
  • This piece contains readings from Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot". I have edited his words to tell this short narrative. The Time lapse images were taken in Mexico and Utah. The piano is self-composed. I hope you enjoy this piece, it has given me hope once again."


2 comments:

John said...

I think this is a cool video, however, I disagree with Carl on 1 small detail. I believe that humans will not be as "unified" as he might have thought. While Earth might, in the end, be dominated by 1 form of government, social or economic system, once we stretch out into the void, many will choose a different path.

I guess that's why I like the show Serenity so much... Because in my mind, it foretells our not so distant future. Once space travel becomes cheap and resources easily taken from random points amongst the stars, what's to stop people from separating from their home world... What's to stop them from having the means, will and know how to forge a different path? And of course, the answer is... Nothing... Nothing but the drive that wills us all into a new frontier.

Beam Me Up said...

John
You know, in the preamble for your comment I was thinking....Serenity. So in this respect I think I am more in line with your thinking. It is a lot more plausible when you stop and consider. Were the discoverers of the new world fundamentally different humans? The new world was a discovery every bit as important and the edge of technology in every sense as discovering a new world in a different solar system would be. So as lovely as it sounded, Carl more than likely missed this call. Yes the discoverers will be the pinnacle of the human adventurer but still very much human.

Thanks for the comment John