Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Visionary Arthur C. Clarke dead at 90


Arthur C. Clarke, a visionary science fiction writer who won worldwide acclaim with more than 100 books on space, science and the future, died Wednesday in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, an aide said. He was 90. Clarke, who had battled debilitating post-polio syndrome since the 1960s died at 1:30 a.m. after suffering breathing problems. I am not going to bore you with anymore details. If you are reading this blog you know who AC was and what he was known for. Of note recently was Clarke's very vocal support for the Google prize for a private Luna mission. Other than that, the sense of lose is only matched by the loss in the 90s of Dr. Asimov.

AP story

The imagination of the science fiction author Sir Arthur C Clarke bubbled over with ideas about the future of science, technology and human society. BBC science and technology staff look at some that came true, and some that did not. Click Here for the BBC News report


4 comments:

NJC said...

Strange. I just thought of him yesterday, or maybe it was even today. I forget why. And it occurred to me that he must be quite old and that someday his time will come and I will feel like I'd been punched in the gut, as we always feel when a great man has left. Today was that day.

2001. Songs of Distant Earth. Rendezvous with Rama. These were special to me. "Songs" I first encountered as an audio recording on public radio, driving home from Bangor, Maine, late one night on deserted roads. Intelligence comforting and inspiring me as I was alone in the dark. What better compliment can be paid to a mind, to what better use can one be put?

A life well lived. Wherever you are, Sir Arthur, worry not. Undoubtedly it's full of stars.

Anonymous said...

The last of the 'Big Three', gone, and an era in SF closed.

Like Nelson, I was talking about A.C only a day or two ago, telling my wife that once he was gone, a chapter in the golden age of SF would be finished.

My favourite A.C. Clarke novel?
'The City And The Stars'.

Anonymous said...

Gut punched yes, a closing of a great era in science fiction, certainly. Well said gentlemen. Favorite novel? Rama has to be right up there, I would like to say 2001 but that is a mixed bag for me, more of a chicken and the egg thing. Fountains certainly comes readily to mind.

Beam Me Up said...

and of course who amongst us has not experienced the awe of Childhood's End?