Friday, November 06, 2009

LHC down again!


From Dvice blog I read that the large Hadron Collider is again offline. However this is no magnetic ring losing containment no this time it was caused by something almost beyond comprehension!

Would you believe a piece of bread? I am not making this up, one of the world's most complicated machines was brought low by a bread crumb. Oh and it gets weirder! The crumb did not come from a careless workman, sandwich in one had and a welder in the other, no - said crumb was thought to have been dropped by one of our feathered friends.

From the article:
  • The morsel found its way into the doomsday device's outdoor machinery, sparking a temperature differential that triggered an automatic shutdown sequence....
It shouldn't hurt the schedule too much, but it is going to take a couple of weeks getting the LHC restarted.

3 comments:

Rosehippi said...

What a crumby thing to do. A real crumby situation and not another crumb of evidence to the contrary... time heals all wounds crumby or not.

Rosehippi said...

silly I know but FUN... I know, I'm a real Crumb. LOL

Beam Me Up said...

Oh groan....Rosehippi!!! I can't believe you went there! But I laughed, so where does that put me!?