Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Book 12 of The Wheel of Time will be a trilogy

According to SFScope:
  • Tor Books has announced that the final volume of Robert Jordan's massive Wheel of Time A Memory of Light will appear as a trilogy. Volume one of the three books making up the final volume will be titled The Gathering Storm, and will be published on 3 November 2009. The second and third volumes will appear over a two-year period.
  • Harriet McDougal, Jordan's widow and editor, expanded on the announcement, saying "The scope and size of the novel was such that it could not be contained in a single volume.
Robert Jordan, was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr. died September 16, 2007, leaving The Wheel of Time fantasy series unfinished. Book 12 was to be the final volume but Jordan died before he could complete much more than a rough.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordon envisioned 1 book to wrap up the series. After he died, it expanded to 2 volumes, now to 3.

I hate to be cynical, but they seem to be milking it. These books better be good!

Beam Me Up said...

No, be cynical...they know damn well they are not going to be feeding at this trough for long. Everything I had heard up to this point was one volume to tie all the loose ends up and now its three...then why even bother with convention? Its all about the Benjamins ..

Anonymous said...

I actually had heard that the series was much more open ended and that the 12th book was a rush to cap the series. If the last three are well written and truly address the whole volume of mysteries I'm okay with it. If they are totally oddball as compared to the rest and take off in a new direction the first of three will be as far as I go...

Beam Me Up said...

No, I have grown tired of waiting and as much as I liked the concept of the original series...it has gone on long enough. Were the last 3 indeed only a precursor to another long series... I am ready for some resolution.

Anonymous said...

Three more books,three more years,give me a break. I'll wait for the movie.

Beam Me Up said...

You know I hope RJ haunts all those involved for doing this. I was all set to gut it out for one more episode....As it was, some of the last ones were SO tedious and now to add on more volumes and more years? Sorry, this rat is queuing up.

James said...

I am fine with the split. Jordon himself said that book 12 would be huge, but that he would write it as one volume. Publishing and retailer realities have to kick in at some point. And Brandon has stated that he has no intention of writing any more WoT stories. Seriously, wouldn't you rather have three big books over two years than one massive book in two years? Myself, I want the same complete story line that wraps up all the plot-lines rather than a readers digest version that was rushed out the door.

Beam Me Up said...

When you put it that way James, it is really hard to argue. I was never a fan of the RD version of anything. I can just imagine what they would have done with this series! Me though, I am that person who love the big thick book. One where you can crawl right into and live there for a long time. But not if its at risk of the story...never.