Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Diving from space at 2500 mph


Wow, I found this on scifi.com! This is about as far fetched as you can go! damn!!!


This is about the most extreme sport anyone's ever dreamed up: space diving. A group of space scientists who aren't actually insane aim to give it a try by 2009, jumping from 120,000 feet in a specially designed space suit that looks like a buggy-rollin' getup, but without those silly roller skates. The daredevils hope to develop the technique not only as a sport, but also as a possible escape route for astronauts in low Earth orbit.

click here for complete story

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the original cut of Star Trek Generations, Kirk performed a similar low-orbit dive (a pic of him in the suit is in the hardcover book edition of that movie). Alas, this was cut from the final movie.

Anonymous said...

really? I am not sure I saw that movie. I really was put off by most of the star trek movies.
Star trek 1 was like no one had ever watched the show and most of the rest except maybe ST2 were self serving. anyway...I wonder if that is where they got the idea. I had never heard of it before this. It sounds very interesting.