Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A few thousand sf magazine covers!


Now this is a trip! Shaun Saunders sends me a link to a really innovative graphics interface. It's loaded with thousands of science fiction magazine cover grapics. You drag your mouse around and individual covers pop up. If you then click, a larger, more detailed graphic pops up. It is really fascinating to just click around in this interface. I saw covers that I used to have or have read and many that I hadn't and was just plain amazed at the level of art some of these covers contained.

Check it out!

more

oh and here is another link to the cover art done
by Frank R. Paul who did covers for Amazing, Science Wonder Stories and others

Frank R. Paul art covers

4 comments:

Colin P. Davies said...

Thanks for the links. You know I love this stuff. Particular favourites are the Paul back cover alien landscapes. There's real Sense of Wonder there.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Colin. Just as I named one of my stories, it's all 'Looking for the future that was'...

Colin P. Davies said...

I think if the Sense of Wonder hits you in your childhood years, you never forget it (in fact you spend a lot of your adult life trying to recapture it). I think Fireball XL5 did it for me! It does feel like a future that was, when you could believe in green Neptunians living in fantastic cities. Mind you...maybe there's still a chance.

Anonymous said...

Of course I should fess up, I really didnt come to true SF until my highschool years. Previous to that I read the classics, and got my sf kick in comix. However Astroboy was always just under the surface. Then ST, Lost in Space and 2001 came along and it was just a matter of time until I realized that it was the genre that I really enjoyed